Thursday, April 24, 2008

Portable Macro Light Tent

They say that necessity is the 'mother of invention.' However, in my case being cheap is enough motivation to send me rummaging around for spare parts and duct tape . It also has something to do with my unwillingness to drag an overpriced piece of gear into the woods that I will ultimately end up destroying anyway. So, I've set out on a mission to create an easy-to-set-up, collapsible, effective macro light tent. I'm going to use it for photographing wildflowers, insects and other small creatures in the field.

For a while now, I've been wanting to create a box that I can attach to my camera backpack without worrying about it getting snagged on tree-branches, etc. So, I went out on the web and found a few examples created by others who share my desire for inexpensive photography supplies. I found these: 1, 2 and 3. Although these are pretty neat and surely effective ideas, I still need something even easier and still more portable. Enter, the E-Z Macro Light-Hood, Dum-Dum-Dum-Da! Actually, I have no idea what it should be called but I've sketched out an idea for a very portable, roll-up light tent made up of dowel rods, a painter's drop-cloth, clips and velcro. If this works (and I believe that it will) I'll post a photo here on the blog. In the meantime, I would love to hear from anyone on their ideas for a better solution as I'm sure that one must already exist.

No comments: