Wednesday, April 30, 2008

How to Make-Your-Own Macro Light Tents and Do the Laundry at the Same Time


Okay. So I've become fairly obsessed with finding the cheapest, best way to make a portable light tent for macro photography. There are some pretty clever ideas out there but I still haven't found one that is able be compacted down very easily (for attaching to a backpack) and then quickly able to be reassembled in the field. Haven't not tried any of these out I'm only speculating though. However I did find these three: 1, 2, 3. My favorite, which made me laugh –and which I've posted above– is of a light tent made out of a laundry basket. Those of us who happen to be poor, cheap and nature photographers (or all of the above) will go to great lengths to make a nice image in the cheapest way possible! :)

Please send me other links. I know that there is a better solution out there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

another, maybe no as cheap, but...
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhh. bwillant.. i can't see your pic/design. i dunnowhy but the idea of dowel hadn't occurred to me. i have been trying to find metal rod, but hardware thingies have 6mm as the smallest rod and i can't bend that. smaller than that is 2.5mm fencing wire which is toooo flimsy, i know coz i used it to built a prototype tent. trying to snap Australian Terrestrial Orchids which have flimsy flower stems up to 60cm tall with a cheap bridge camera (fuji S5800). using manual focus coz continuous or single will not reliably focus on the flower "filling" the frame, dang blast it! just get focused and the wind blows.... but im off to sew some sleeves fer dowel in a bitta cotton.........thanks Clay.

but this is one that appealed.
http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l3.aspx?goods=LT0046

they is in Sydney, Australia so postage may be prohibitive

light_lab said...

Hi, I referred to this site in my Instructable so I guess I should return the favor. My macro light tent is very very cheap, instant to erect and easily cleaned. (At a pinch you can use it to carry things in too!.)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Plastic-Light-Tent-The-Light-Kennel/