Monday, November 16, 2009

People Patterns

When my wife Kari and I were in New York last week we had an opportunity to visit The Strand Bookstore in Greenwich Village, which claims to showcase “18 miles of books!” Personally, I was in heaven but had to soon retreat before my bank account began to stretch as much as my overstuffed suitcase.

I happened to find a really cool little book by Welsh artist and writer David Wade entitled “LI: Dynamic Forms in Nature.” In this quick read, Wade explores commonly occurring patterns and forms found throughout nature. I’ve always been fascinated by the Golden Section but find this much easier to grasp since I am dreadful at mathematics.

Browsing through its pages, I was reminded of just how connected all aspects of nature really are. Regardless of how much time we may spend convincing ourselves that we are exempt from the need to be a part of creation, it just doesn’t add up. That is a sum that even I can formulate correctly!

As we walked through Central Park, I marveled at the throng of people who flocked there to be amongst the trees. Even in a city like New York, where there is an opportunity to feed every imagined human desire, the need to connect with something deeper cannot be shed.

No comments: